Last year I discovered the joy of BIG DICE. Partly this was due to running 13th Age and needing a big d6 for the Escalation Die, but I've also found them to be great GM tools. What do I use BIG DICE for?
- Tracking enemy hit points. Perfect for bigger enemies with lots of HP.
- Keeping track of countdowns.
- 13th Age Escalation Die - Big wooden lawn dice work perfectly for this.
- Eyes of the Stone Thief Submergence Die.
- Terrifying players. Just set a die out and increase or decrease the number to your whim and watch players squirm.
- The pure satisfaction of rolling BIG DICE.
What's the advantage of using BIG DICE for these tasks?
- Easy to read at a glance.
- Harder to accidentally knock over. (I've found that metal dice are also good for this).
- Stand out from smaller dice. I only have a small number of BIG DICE so I'm not trying to remember if the wyvern hp total was on the sparkly black dice or the matte black with speckles dice.
Consider this the first of what will hopefully be many short weekly GM tips as I continue to re-boot the blog.